Monday, April 15, 2013

Becoming a parent

Prepare and protect our children to survive and thrive in the world they are going to live in! This statement really stuck out to me this week because I lay awake some nights wondering if I am teaching my kids everything they need to know in order to do this. As a mom it scares me to death to think of things they will deal with as children that I never had to face until I was an adult.

Purpose of parenting
   -refine parents
   -become more like God
   -closer to divinity

Children need:
   *courage
   *responsibility
   *respect
   *cooperation
Choices and consequences!!

We must not use natural consequences with our children. They are too dangerous, too far in the future and they affect other people. We need to teach our children to work through their problems on their own unless it breaks a family rule.

*Teach our children by example
       *How were you taught respect?
              -example, family prayer, respecting our Heavenly Father and by watching other disrespect other and never wanting to be like them. You can never get enough of what you don't need because what you need can't satisfy you.

No comments:

Post a Comment